Wednesday, July 31, 2013

God's Metanarrative





At a Southeastern District Conference a few years ago I was blessed to hear presenter -Marva Dawn.
She struggles with some health issues and at this time was using a walker to help her mobility. So in a feat with much effort, she left the podium and pushed her walker to the far corner of the large ballroom.
And in her wonderful style said something like-  "Let's jump into God's story of the world in this chapter and start here"......and spoke THE STORY as she crossed the room clear to the other corner.
It took her quite awhile to cross the ballroom floor.

She spoke about how our human minds can only fathom a small concept of TIME. And sometimes we get transfixed on a tiny speck of dust in the BIG STORY.  She pulled out a sheet of paper and held it up- thin side to our view.  Yup, that miniscule sheet of paper is my whole life- my whole legacy. My spot of time in God's Big META- NARRATIVE- in His Good plan for humans.

Somehow, I felt pretty invaluable at the prospects of my contribution... But, she did not leave us there.
A Book needs all the pages to TELL the STORY. God is not about using the Cliff Notes version, and leaving some parts out. There is a purpose for my sheet of paper. The thin piece of time that will be my life is connected to other stories. God is counting on my life to represent the thread of His Goodness, that is woven throughout all of the history of time. My story will be graced by new pages in future generations, because of what He had already done for me in the saving grace of Jesus Christ, and uses a faltering and flawed faithfulness to still make a difference in the lives around me now and in the stories yet to be told. And because His grace is SO GRAND, we give thanks for being a part of HIS STORY.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly
 above all that we ask or think,
 according to the power that works in us, 
to Him be glory in the church of Christ Jesus to all generations,
 forever and ever. Amen."

Your story - by the power of Jesus - to all generations.
What is Jesus doing in your Story right now?

Blessings,

Connie

2 comments:

  1. I heard Marva Dawn speak up in Michigan a few years ago! She is truly an inspiration and a vehicle used by God! She reminds me to slow down and enjoy God's love in the simple things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    Yes I also enjoy listening to this very wise woman.

    ReplyDelete

always wanting to be connected!