Saturday, December 10, 2016

Advent 14- Word Made Flesh

December 10
Read: Exodus 16:1 – 4 and John 6:25 – 35
Christ again interprets a miracle of the Old Testament, the manna that fell from heaven like rain, as a direct prophecy of the grace and salvation sent from heaven in the body of Christ. A promise of consistent grace that covers the earth and keeps on coming in quantities sufficient for daily life. What joy is ours as we taste the Word Made Flesh in daily study and regular attendance at the Lord’s Feast of Victory. 
The hymn ‘O Living Bread from Heaven’ tells of the mystery of word made flesh in the sacrament of the altar and prays that the strength gained from this feast enables us to serve our Lord and God throughout our life. This Advent season we remember also that Bethlehem, where Christ was born, means “House of Bread.”



O Living Bread from heaven, How hast Thou fed Thy guest!
The gifts Thou now hast given Have filled my heart with rest.
O wondrous Food of blessing! O Cup that heals our woes!
My heart, this gift possessing, In thankful song o’er-flows.
My Lord, Thou here hast led me Within Thy holiest place,
And there Thyself hast fed me With treasures of Thy grace;
And Thou has freely given What earth could never buy,
The Bread of Life from heaven, That now I shall not die!
Thou givest all I wanted, The Food can death destroy;
And Thou hast freely granted The Cup of endless joy.
Ah, Lord, I do not merit The favor Thou hast shown,
All my soul and spirit Bow down before Thy throne!
Lord, grant me that, thus strengthened With heavenly Food, while here
My course on earth is lengthened, I serve with holy fear:
And when Thou call’st my spirit To leave this world below,
I enter, through Thy merit, Where joys unmingled flow.

For the Family:
The symbol for this promise places the wafer in the manger reminding us not only of Christ’s incarnation, but also that we, like the cattle need to be fed daily. As you hang this symbol on your Tree of Promise, give thanks that your soul can feast on the Word made Flesh.
Bible Journaling:
ADVENT 14
Word Made Flesh
Exodus 16:1-4
Connie Denninger

From the Kitchen:
Unleavened Bread
Mix together:
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup white flour
½ tsp salt
Cut in:
2 TBS butter or margarine
2 TBS shortening
Dissolve 1 TBS honey in 3 TBS warm water.
Mix other ingredients with the honey-water. Knead the dough on floured board, folding over and re-kneading several times. Roll the dough with rolling pin or pat with hands until ¼” thick. Cut with knife and decorate with tip of knife using Christian symbols.
Bake at 375 until brown on top.
This recipe was first published in a Confirmation book during the 1970’s. For many years I baked it with the confirmation classes for use at their first communion. 

Tree of Promise Devotions
Natalie Grace Hartwig


No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!