Thursday, December 01, 2016

Advent 5- Household of Faith

December 1
Read Genesis 22:15 – 18 and Galatians 3:6 – 9
Abraham heard the promise of God to make him the ‘father of nations’ and Paul, writing to the Galatians, tells us that this promise applies to all who believe. In this way, Abraham’s descendants include peoples from all nations. Through faith in Christ, each believer is a star, a child of Abraham, an heir to the promise. 
The hymn ‘The God of Abraham Praise’ sings the fulfillment of this ancient promise to a tune based on an ancient Hebrew chant.
The God of Abr’ham praise, Who reigns enthroned above, 
Ancient of everlasting days and God of love.
Jehovah, great I AM! By earth and heav’n confessed;
 I bow and bless the sacred name Forever blest.
The God of Abr’ham praise, At whose supreme command
 From earth I rise and seek the joys At His right hand.
I all on earth forsake, Its wisdom, fame, and pow’r,
 And Him my only portion make, My shield and tow’r.
The God of Abr’ham praise, Whose all sufficient grace 
Shall guide me all my pilgrim days In all my ways.
He deigns to call me friend; He calls Himself my God,
 And He shall save me to the end Through Jesus’ blood.
He by Himself has sworn; I on His oath depend. I shall, 
on eagle wings up borne, To Heav’n ascend.
I shall behold His face; I shall His pow’r adore 
And sing the wonders of His grace forevermore.
Though nature’s strength decay, And earth and hell withstand,
 To Canaan’s bounds I urge my way At His command.
The wat’ry deep I pass, With Jesus in my view,
 And through the howling wilderness My way pursue.
The goodly land I see, With peace and plenty blest: 
A land of sacred liberty And endless rest.
There milk and honey flow, And oil and wine abound,
 And trees of life forever grow With mercy crowned.
There dwells the Lord our king, The Lord our righteousness,
 Triumphant o’er the world and sin, The Prince of Peace.
On Zion’s sacred height His kingdom He maintains 
And glorious with His saints in light Forever reigns.
The God who reigns on high The great archangels sing,
 And “Holy, holy, holy!” cry, “Almighty King!
Who was and is the same And evermore shall be: Jehovah,
 Father, great I AM! We worship Thee!”
The whole triumphant host Give thanks to God on high.
 “Hail, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!” They ever cry.
Hail, Abr’ham’s God and mine! I join the heav’nly lays: 
All might and majesty are Thine And endless praise!
For the Family:
The symbol for this promise combines the star of David with the cross of Christ. Put your own name on this star. Create a star for each member of the household of faith within your home. Hang these symbols on your Tree of Promise and know that you are a star, promised by God and redeemed by Christ the crucified. Give thanks to God for this great promise both made and kept.
Advent 5 - Bible Journaling
Genesis 22:15-18
Connie Denninger

From the Kitchen:
These cookies are not edible, but they will make your house smell wonderful and you can use them as ornaments for many years. I don’t remember where I got the recipe, but know I first made them when my daughters were toddlers and we were living in Northern Wisconsin. (Faith Lutheran Church, Maple, WI) 
Cinnamon Applesauce Stars
¾ cup applesauce
1 cup plus 2 TBS ground cinnamon (that’s 2 boxes (2.37 oz each) of cinnamon)
Mix applesauce and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Use your hands for best results.
Working with about a quarter of the dough at a time roll it out to about ¼” thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Remove the top sheet and use a small cookie cutter star to cut out multiple ornaments. Transfer the cookies to a baking sheet and use a skewer to make a small hole at the top of the ornament. Repeat until all dough is used. 
Bake for 2 ½ hours at 200 degrees.
Cool on cookie rack
Thread narrow ribbon through the hole
If stored in an air tight container these ornaments will last for years. 
They can be painted with craft paint and even varnished if you so desire.
Tree of Promise Devotion
Natalie Grace Hartwig

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!