Thursday, December 22, 2016

Advent 26- God Loves Me Dearly

December 22
Read Zechariah 9:9, Matthew 21:1 – 9, and Mark 11:1 – 11
Zechariah’s prophesy, the promise of the entrance of the King, is fulfilled in the Palm Sunday account of Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem and is, at the same time, a reflection of the joy we feel when Christ is welcomed into our hearts and lives. At the heart of the hymn, ‘O Lord, How Shall I Meet Thee’ is the 4th verse. Pay close attention to those words as you sing this hymn. 

O Lord, how shall I meet You, How welcome You a right?
Your people long to greet You, My hope, my heart’s delight.
O kindle, Lord most holy, Your lamp within my breast
To do in spirit lowly All that may please You best.
Your Zion strews before You Green boughs and fairest palms;
And I too will adore You With joyous songs and psalms.
My heart shall bloom forever For you with praises new
And from your name shall never With-hold the honor due.
I lay in fetters groaning: You came to set me free
I stood, my shame bemoaning; You came to honor me.
A glorious crown You give me, A treasure safe on high
That will not fail or leave me As earthly riches fly.
Love caused Your incarnation, Love brought You down to me.
Your thirst for my salvation Procured my liberty.
Oh, love beyond all telling, That led You to embrace
In love, all love excelling, Our lost and fallen race.
Sin’s debt, that fearful burden, Cannot His love erase,
Your guilt the Lord will pardon And cover by His grace.
He comes, for you procuring The peace of sin forgiv’n,
His children thus securing Eternal life in heav’n.
He comes to judge the nations, A terror to His foes,
A light of consolations And blessed hope to those
Who love the Lord’s appearing O glorious Sun, now come,
Send forth Your beams so cheering, And guide us safely home.

For the Family:
The symbol is a heart, representing God’s love nestled in a manger. Hang this symbol on your Tree of Promise and give thanks to God who loves you so dearly that He took on human form to save you.
                                                     Bible Journaling:
Advent 26
God Love Me Dearly
Zechariah 9:9
Bible Journaling
Connie Denninger

From the Kitchen:
Another bar cookie, this one a bit more complicated, makes very few cookies. Mom rarely took them out of the baking pan to pack in another container. I’m not sure if that was because she was running out of canisters or because she realized that they hardly lasted long enough to justify the effort.
Coconut Bars
 Dora Pfitzer Meyermann-  Mother of Natalie Hartwig
Cookie Base:
½ C softened butter
½ C packed brown sugar
1 C sifted four
  • Cut together and press firmly into greased 8 X 12 pan. 
  • Bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Do Not Brown.
Top layer:
2 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
1 C packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBS flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 C chopped nuts
1 C shredded coconut
  • Beat together eggs and brown sugar.
  • Sift dry ingredients together, add to egg mixture and stir until well incorporated.
  • Fold in nuts and coconut
  • Spread over cookie base
  • Bake at 325 for 25 minutes
  • Cut while still warm, but do not need to remove from pan immediately. 
  • Makes 24 large bars or 32 small ones. 
I love these! So very rich tasting. My recipe card is very use spattered.

Tree of Promise Devotions
Natalie Grace Hartwig


No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!