Monday, December 05, 2016

Advent 9- A Cry for Deliverance

December 5
Read Exodus 3:1–12
The Burning Bush
The bush burned, but was not consumed by fire. God proclaimed that he had heard the prayers of his people, had compassion on them, and would rescue them. God promised to be with Moses as he confronted the might of Egypt on behalf of the slaves of Egypt.  
The spiritual, ‘When Israel Was in Egypt’s Land’ tells the story of Israel’s delivery
 and concludes with the reminder that we are all free in Christ.

When Israel was in Egypt’s land, Let My people go, Oppressed so hard they could not stand, Let my people go.
Go down, Moses, way down in Egypt’s land, Tell old Pharaoh: Let My people go.
The Lord told Moses what to do, Let My people go; To lead the children of Israel through, Let My people go.
Go down, Moses, way down in Egypt’s land, Tell old Pharaoh: Let My people go.
The pillar of cloud shall clear the way, Let My people go, A fire by night, a shade by day, Let My people go.
Go down, Moses, way down in Egypt’s land, Tell old Pharaoh: Let My people go.
As Israel stood by the waterside, Let My people go, At God’s command it did divide, Let My people go.
Go down, Moses, way down in Egypt’s land, Tell old Pharaoh: Let My people go.
When they had reached the other shore, Let My people go; They sang the song of triumph o’er, Let My people go.
Go down, Moses, way down in Egypt’s land, Tell old Pharaoh: Let My people go.
Oh, let us all from bondage flee, Let My people go, And let us all in Christ be free, Let My people go.
Go down, Moses, way down in Egypt’s land, Tell old Pharaoh: Let My people go.

For the Family:

The symbol, a bush surrounded by fire, reminds us that God’s children still cry for deliverance, are heard by God, and are freed by God. Hang this symbol on your Tree of Promise and give thanks for God’s constant presence in your life.
Bible Journaling
Advent 9-
A Cry for Deliverance
Exodus 3:1-12
Bible Journaling
Connie Denninger

From the Kitchen:
Peppermint Melt Aways
Cookies:
1 Cup butter
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
½ tsp peppermint extract
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup cornstarch
  • In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract.
  • In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch. 
  • Gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.
  • Preheat oven to 350. Shape dough into 1” balls, place 2” apart on ungreased baking sheets. 
  • Bake 9 – 11 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on racks.
Frosting:
2 TBS butter softened
2 TBS 2% milk
¼ tsp peppermint extract
2 – 3 drops red food coloring, optional
1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
½ cup crushed peppermint candies
  • In a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in milk, extract, and food coloring if desired. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth
  • Spread over cookies, sprinkle with crushed candies.
  • Store in airtight container.
  • Yields: about 2 ½ dozen.
This is a new recipe that daughter Shereth found. I’ve tasted them. They do melt in your mouth and are delicate in flavor. (Shereth plans to increase the amount of extract the next time she makes them.) The bush did not burn. That’s the only link but the cookies are really good.

Tree of Promise Advent Devotions
Natalie Grace Hartwig

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!