Friday, September 27, 2013

Cheryl Durheim- Central Region



I was asked several times throughout my school years to predict what I would be doing when I grew up.  I loved that question because I had the answer!  I was going to be an elementary school teacher.  Throughout my elementary and high school years the only variable that changed in that plan was instead of being a public school teacher I was going to be a Lutheran School Teacher; and I did just that.  I finished college and my first call was to a small Lutheran School in St. Francis, MN where I taught grades 1-4.  College did not prepare me for four grades in one classroom, but I managed and I loved it!  That lasted two years and from that point on “my plan” went haywire.
My husband took a job in Chicago, which meant we had to move.  Thankfully, we were moving into a “very Lutheran” area where finding a teaching position should be easy.  Well…easy – Yes – finding a position within my plan – No.  I took a call teaching middle school.  I was absolutely petrified the kids would eat me alive; yet, I swallowed my fear and took the plunge.  What I discovered was teaching middle school was awesome and the thought of going back to the early elementary years was not for me!  I never thought my career would include teaching middle school.
Then my husband was transferred to Washington D.C. and into an area that was not at all Lutheran.  Lutheran Schools were not an option for us and I was not thrilled about teaching in a public school.  I tried to get a job but nothing came about so I decided to get my Masters in education, which would make me more marketable.  However, as I finished my degree God had other plans for me.  I was asked to consider being the Director of Family Life Ministry for our church.  I said “Absolutely Not!”  I had just finished my Masters and I didn’t want to go back to school for yet another Masters AND that was not in my plan.  I was a teacher!  Well, the long story short – I was called to be the Director of Family Life Ministry and I went to school again.  This was WAY beyond my plans.  Director of Family Life Ministry was not a teaching job.  Yes, part of my job was teaching but not in a traditional classroom setting and it was for ages above middle school.  Once again, this was not in my plan but I absolutely loved how God was using me in a different type of ministry.  I was able to reach people of all ages; teach people of all ages; and show people how important a church family is.  
This, too, came to an end and not in a way that I ever imagined.  I was sad because I truly felt called to do ministry; yet, it didn’t appear I was going to be able to serve anymore.  Yes, I wasn’t going to be serving in the capacity of Director of Family Life Ministry but I was still going to be serving; it would just look different once again.  I now serve Him through teaching online classes for Concordia University, Nebraska and by conducting online Bible studies.  As I reflect upon “my plan”, I can see how “my plan” was so miniscule to the grand plan that God has for me.  Even though I am no longer serving a specific congregation, I still have the opportunity to reach others and help them reflect upon God’s word within their home.  God has opened the door in a very untraditional way to reach families that are living very full lives.    
Reflecting upon the path God has led me on and looking at where He is leading me leaves me awestruck.  He has equipped me with the skills needed each time to be able to reach out and share His word.  Back when I began this journey if someone told me that I would be writing, teaching adults, and creating and leading retreats I would have laughed at them.  Never underestimate what God will equip you to do!  Take time to reflect upon your journey.  As you reflect, God’s presence in your life will be evident and how he has equipped you to do His work will shine through.    
Serving an AMAZING God in ways I never imagined!


          If you are interested in Online Bible Reflections – email Cheryl at cheryldurheim@yahoo.com.  There is only a small commitment on your part.  Supply an email address, receive a reflection, and reflect upon God’s word for the week.  
You can also find her on the blog she writes at - passingonthefaith.blogspot.com.
We give thanks for the way Cheryl is leading in the world of social media, faith formation and ministry opportunities.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!