Sunday, September 15, 2013

Faye Krans- Central Region



My story is like others in many ways and quite different in many others.  I grew up in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, as a Missouri Synod Lutheran, attending Lutheran grade school and Concordia  Lutheran high school.  You might say I was molded to be a pastor’s wife.  At age 19, I was married and swept away to St. Louis.  I became the pastor’s wife and was very comfortable in that role for about ten years.  I liked being a pastor’s wife, but the parameters of that role were destined to change.  My husband was commissioned into the Air Force Reserves and then into active duty in the Navy.  At first, I felt like a fish out of water.  I was no longer the pastor’s wife.  I was in a different role: the Chaplain’s wife.  Throughout our time in the Navy, I was involved with the Chaplains’ Wives groups and often served as President. This gave me opportunities to lead, shape, and support the wives.

Being away from extended family and raising four children while working full time kept me quite busy.  I am very thankful that we were spared harm and danger during over 26 years of military service.   My husband retired from the Navy in 2006.  We moved to Northern Virginia where he is the Chaplain at Reagan Airport.  Now I can have a special role as encourager- as a member of the congregation. 
At different junctures along my path, I have taught Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Confirmation Class assistant, High School Sunday School, Adult Class. Participation roles include  Bible Study groups, women’s church groups, and choirs.  I had the honor of teaching ecclesiastical embroidery to many young wives at St. Louis Seminary.  I’m a current American Red Cross volunteer, since 2005, in response to Katrina. 
My ministry to others has changed over the years.  A large part of my current ministry is caring for our daughters and son and their families as well as supporting my parents as best I can albeit long distance. 
My spiritual growth currently comes from talking about sermons with my husband; relying on God to supply strength, help, and comfort in everyday life. I am thankful when able to help someone else- a widowed neighbor, a co-worker, being a mentor to a niece via email, or an encourager to long time friends.  I find great peace in praying the Lord’s Prayer as I walk the half mile to work each day. 
Retirement from being a legal assistant is not too far in the future.  I’m looking forward to exercising more of my creative talents, traveling, spending more time with family, volunteering, and being more active in a church.
Even though my journey has not been that of a traditional pastor’s wife, I  have had many opportunities to be a blessing to others: to my family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and Bible Study group. I enjoy telling some of my faith stories and experiences as a pastor’s wife, chaplain’s wife, and regular person in the pew.  One day at a law firm where I was working, I was walking through the real estate section in the back part of our building.  One of the ladies stopped me and said, "I want what you have."  What do I have?  I know the grace of God.  I have forgiveness.  I have life everlasting.  I am experiencing some of heaven on earth.  I love my family and they love me. You are also- Blessed to be a Blessing.  Gen. 12:3. 
 ********

Faye is the wife of Rev. Glen Krans, lives in Manassas, Virginia and can be reached at grafec1@yahoo.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!