Sunday, September 20, 2020

A Reset for Days of Unrest

 


Earlier this week I said, “These times certainly make it easy to follow the instruction to pray constantly.” News of the west coast fires, the east coast storms, the national unrest, and the global pandemic present an endlessly changing list of needs for prayer. I called my pastor, complaining about the internal angst. He told me to keep on praying. I spoke to my sister. She told me to read Job. I did not re-read Job, but I did remember God’s answer to Job when he complained, and I did keep on praying. Today God answered those prayers through two spirit filled messages.

This morning Berith and I went to church (Trinity Lutheran Church, Richmond, VA) and listened to our pastor speak the word of God using the parable of the vineyard reminding us that the entire parable is one of God’s great mercy and grace. Mercy in calling us at many and varied times to come into his kingdom. You can listen to the same powerful words by going to TLCRVA.org. 

We headed home and I went to the computer so I could go to church with my sister. What a blessing, Pilgrim Lutheran Church in Chicago was participating in a service of renewing creation. Pastors and people from around the world spoke the word and shared the peace. The sermon, based on Jonah, spoke to us, inviting us not to put ourselves in the place of Jonah, but to see ourselves as Nineveh. Nineveh, the largest city of its day, known as a center of sin and evil. Nineveh, a most un-lovable city, beloved by God and given a warning of approaching doom. When Nineveh headed God’s warning and turned from evil, then there was grace and mercy. Then God did not destroy the city. You can hear this same message by going to Pilgrim’s web site. ( http://www.pilgrimchurchandschool.org/church/index.php )

I urge you to take advantage of either or both of these messages that have soothed my heart and soul this morning. 

Each service carried some things that also sparked joyful memories. 

At Trinity, our new organist selected a prelude based on the hymn, “Salvation Unto Us Has Come.” The prelude includes a long passage of solo pedal work. As I listened to the rich notes and looked back towards the choir loft I saw the organist glancing at his feet at intervals to verify their placement. Then I remembered another time, more than 30 years ago, at Trinity Lutheran Church, Horse Prairie, IL, when the organist selected an offertory that also included a long passage of pedal work. I don’t recall if it was the same hymn, but remember this was before 1977, so I can be forgiven for forgetting that point. What I do remember is John coming home after church chuckling about the way the very young, short, slim, new teacher-organist had used both hands to grab hold of the organ bench and hang on while her feet pounded out the melody line. John was the only one who could see her effort. Trinity’s building is an old brick country church with a balcony that embraced the church. The organ, a tracker action organ that was more than 100 years old, was in the center of the balcony and the bench was right next to the balcony railing. Since John was standing in the chancel, facing away from the altar, he was the only one looking at the organist.

Pilgrim’s worship service included the installation of their faculty and staff for this year at their school. They had to do it via zoom, but watching that service reminded me of the opening services for the Lutheran grade school I attended. It is good to see the tradition of Lutheran education continuing even during these days of a global pandemic. One time the service was held at St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church, University City, Missouri. Dad was the principal and told us he had picked his favorite hymn for the service. Dad chose, “Shepherd of Tender Youth,” one of the most ancient hymns still in use today, for the choir to sing. I looked that hymn up again and will use the 4th verse as a prayer-

Ever be Thou our Guide,

Our Shepherd and our Pride,

Our Staff and Song;

Jesus, Thou Christ of God,

By Thine enduring Word

Lead us where Thou hast trod,

Make our faith strong.


 Thanks to Journeys of Faith Contributing Writer-

Natalie Grace Hartwig.

We encourage you to find a service that blesses you-

 if you are not able to join for inservice worship at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!