Monday, September 14, 2015

Alaska VBS Mission Trip- Part 2


I learned a second lesson
from my friends in Deering.
 While walking home from the small store
in the village I met an elderly man sitting
on an old van seat looking at the Sound.
I walked up to the man and said,
 “You are so blessed to have such
 a wonderful view
 to look at today.” 
The elder then started telling me
 about the beauty he was blessed
 with and how much he loved Deering.
 After about 20 minutes,
 I told him I had to return home.
 My friend said, “Wait! I want you to know
 I am very proud of you!” 
I thought he was talking about our work
 for the Vacation Bible School. 
But, he said,
 “You took the time to talk to me.
 You didn’t need anything,
 you just took the time
 to share and listen to me."
  For the rest of the day his words
 kept going through my mind.
 Later that night I realized why his words
 would not leave me.
 You see, I could imagine my Savior
 saying to me,
 “My daughter, I wish you would sit
 with me and just spend some time with me,
 just because you want to share and listen."  
God wants us to sit with Him 
and share what we are feeling,
 how our day went,
 and what blessing we noticed. 
God wants us to be still and listen.
 He wants me to come to Him 
not because we need something,
 but just to spend time together.

Denise Johnson serves in Hickory, NC 
and is a field reporter for Journeys of Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!