Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Yvette Moy- Central Region







Yvette Moy – Central Region

My immigrant parents worked very hard to make it in the Big Apple. Since my mom and dad valued education, I was blessed to attend Redeemer Lutheran Church in Bayside, N.Y. This K-8 school was where I found loving teachers and I experienced my conversion from Chinese ancestor worship to being a follower of Christ.

According to Martin Luther, “the wages of sin is death.” Since I didn’t want to die, I received Jesus
and I was baptized at the age of 13, becoming a daughter of the King of Kings.

Immediately, my Godparents Betty and Ed Lehman took me under their wings. I tagged along with them every week on evangelism visits to prospective members. As a young Christian, I thought it was amazing that the Lutheran Layman's League was named after them . . . till I noticed the spelling of
their last name was not quite the same.

I became active in youth ministry, campus ministry and homeless ministry. During my career as a journalist, the Lehmans followed me from Manhattan to Western New York. When I arrived in Virginia, they had just planted Our Savior in Winchester, Va. 

Both Ed and Betty were very proud of my efforts within Circuit 9 and the formation of Hispanic Mission Development in Northern Virginia. Throughout my life, they always came to witness to my parents. They were ecstatic after hearing of my mom’s baptism at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Alexandria, Va.

As I attended Betty’s funeral and gazed at the large Lutheran rose window, I realized the torch had been passed on to me.

In 2008, I traveled to China with Lutheran Hour Ministries. I was in the old capital city of Xian watching a performance of a classical Chinese opera when I heard God’s voice, again . . . “You are a beautiful child. You come from a great people. Serve me.” 

Like Jonah, I resisted God’s call, but Jesus transformed my heart. I saw burdened and sad lives of the Bedouins. Today, I teach Bridges: Christians Connecting With Muslims at churches in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C., as a full-time field coordinator with Crescent Project.

Recently, I graduated with certificates in spiritual direction from the Richmond Hill School of Spiritual Guidance and Perspectives on the World Christian Movement. 



Yvette is a member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield, Va.and involved  as a leader in Women's Ministry.


Contact Yvette Moy at ymoy@crescentproject.org 



No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!