Friday, August 30, 2013

Linda Scherer- Northern Region





Learning from a dear Christian friend, I see myself as a "redeemed child of God." It says it all for me. I see my life unfold and have importance in relationships and service to all God’s people.  It says it all for me. I see forgiveness and hope. It says it all for me.

I am not a person who had a miraculous conversion or someone who had an emphatically religious upbringing. God, in His wisdom, saw it wise to help me little by little on a faith journey that has taken quite a good while and, thankfully, continues to this very day!! My family made sure I learned the Lord's prayer and the Apostles' Creed and had access to a large Bible story book as a child. We did not go to church as a family in my school years since my Dad worked on Sundays and my Mom was home taking care of my brother who has major disabilities. We sometimes attended Sunday school.

But I felt a tug to serve within the church and I studied to be a teacher in the Lutheran school system. (after changing college majors a half dozen times!) Much of my next decade was trying to figure out just who I was, working, marrying Art, and raising a family. My husband, the love of my life, has been a super influence and faith encourager.

The Bethel Bible Series had the biggest influence on my growing faith. "Blessed to be a Blessing" took hold and it was life-changing to see how God's plan through Scripture moved forward and wrapped me up in it as well. I will be forever grateful for this exciting opportunity to study and teach.

Today I look back and see both opportunities seized and opportunities not grasped. I see wonderful people in my life and those I never got to know. I see family, both immediate and extended, who have meant a lot. I see meaningful work within the church and in the library setting where I have worked in vocation. I see God’s hand guiding me all along. I hope to grow in being an encourager in days to come.

I am thankful to the Lord for His slow and patient work with me for many years. Through His leading, I have felt purpose in my life and joy and empowerment for service among His people.  I have been energized and equipped in the midst of His forgiveness, and I look forward to whatever comes!
Art and I share and sing an old hymn very, very often.
"We've come this far by faith, leaning on the Lord....."
I think we will continue to sing it and pray it for you as well.

Linda worships at Holy Nativity, Baltimore, MD.
She is the wife of former SED President Rev. Dr. Art Scherer.
 She can be contacted at lscherer50@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!