Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Lenten Devotion- This is not a Drill



I recently saw a young man wearing a Tee-shirt
 with a drawing 
of a claw hammer below the words:
 "This is Not a drill."
I laughed, thought it an appropriate 
public health message, 
and dated myself by remembering 
Peter Paul and Mary singing "If I Had a Hammer."
I sang it all the way across the soccer field.
I stepped through the door at home
 and looked at the cross artwork hanging on the wall.
I thought of that shirt in terms of the Lenten season.
  I thought of the people 
who did not answer the call 
of church bells this past Sunday,
(perhaps they never do)
 and all of the churches across our world
 that did not gather their people
together for worship.
Because a hammer was used to hammer nails 
through the hands and feet
 of the Christ, born to be crucified for me,
 I do have a bell to ring.
And all of God's people
 have a song to sing!

 
Thanks to Natalie Hartwig for her devotional thoughts
 as we move in our world in new ways and new patterns, 
especially this Lenten season.
What everyday clues might be meaningful
 in your everyday walk right now ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!