Sunday, November 11, 2018

Aging in Grace

Aging in Grace
Today I feel old after struggling with a bad cold and being treated for pneumonia.  Somedays, I don't feel old  - I go to water aerobics, sing in two choirs, visit nursing homes with my Pastor husband, and enjoy my friends.  But my reality is that periodically my body and my mind remind me with new and sometimes surprising aches and pains -  "Alice, you are getting older.  Life is short.  Count your blessings.  Make a difference. Learn to cope.  Stop whining!"

Almost 40 years ago, I started working in the field of aging and when introducing myself, I would blithely say "I am Alice Hedt, and my goal is to improve services for seniors so that when I am old, I will be able to have quality care and quality of life."   Now, I introduce myself and say "I am a 70 year old woman who is trying to figure out my aging and address issues faced by other older adults."

I have been asked to share information on aging and resources available in this blog for Women of the Southeastern District. So periodically, you will see "Aging in Grace" with links to services available and food for thought on aging that may be useful in your own aging process, and in your relationships with aging family members, friends and church family.

Please send me your questions to ahedt@aol.com and I commit to looking for answers.  My expertise is in long term care. This includes finding and getting good care in nursing homes, assisted living, and in-home delivered services. But, I enjoy researching other aging resources;  and we can seek advice and ideas within our own SED network.



Resource:  ALOA    Adult Lutherans Organized for Action is a national organization with a wealth of resources for individuals 50+ and congregations.  I love their videos that stimulate discussion and Bible Study on aging topics.  ALOA also offers affordable travel and retreats. Sign up on line for a free newsletter for you or a loved one. ALOA's mission is to equip persons in the second half of life as disciples of Jesus Christ for their service to family, church, community and the world.

Song for Reflection:   Day by Day      Aging is the ultimate journey for each of us.  We are not alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzrhqjzQCi4



I am thankful for this opportunity to discuss these topics with you. Looking forward to on-line conversations as we age in Grace together.                                                                                                                        

                                                                                      Alice Hedt, Landover Hills Maryland 


We thank Alice for joining the writing staff 
for this blog and appreciate her dedication
 to this topic and welcome her expertise!  










No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!