Thursday, June 29, 2017

Carol Ritchie -The Banner Lady


Carol Ritchie- The Banner Lady
It doesn't take very long
 after walking into
 Our Savior Lutheran Church -
 Laurel, Maryland 
to notice that a Visual Artist
is a part of this community.
A Banner for the Ordination 
and Installation of Rev. Derrick Miliner.

The Pentecost Banner
Like most visual learners, 
I see pictures when speakers use words
 that evoke mental images. 
Some Pastors are quite adept 
at bringing images to mind as they speak, 
and I usually draw in my bulletin 
when I’m moved by the words they’ve used. 
The doodles, though quite small, 
often remain virtually unchanged 
when translated into a 
full-size design for a banner. 
The Pastor’s words become my
 “homilies on the wall”. 
 I prefer not to include words, so many are left to be interpreted by those who stop to see them, 
though I do offer an explanation
 in the bulletin when they are first used. 
Some ideas spend quite
 a long time being worked and reworked 
in my head before being made,
 others seem to come fully ready
 for immediate pattern design.
 On the other hand, a number of my banners
 have grown out of
 LWML convention themes 
when I was asked to create
 a banner for that purpose. 
Those designs developed as I worked
 with how each particular theme 
could best be portrayed.
Christ has set YOU free!

I’ve used many materials in the banners 
I’ve made but continue
 to appreciate the base structure
 able to be achieved with well-made felt. 
Some banners have many layers, some are quilted,
 many are three dimensional. 
Our banner stands require a six-inch casing
 at the top, and felt can be squared
 to hang properly without fear of its stretching in some undesirable way.
 I use stitching or fusible web between layers -
 I don’t use glue. 
On one banner, I couched endless yards
 of decorative yarn
 into intricate patterns by hand 
while sitting on the floor on top of the banner. 
Ideas can sometimes get out of hand that way!
For a church celebration- anniversary.
For the Grief-Share Ministry
Celebrating ministry with children.

A Lenten Altar setting prepares
hearts and minds for worship.
Carol certainly sees how all things-
visual- fit together.


Carol is a member of 
Our Savior Lutheran Church,
Laurel, Maryland.
We give thanks for her God-given talent
 and her work that gives Glory to her Creator.





No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!