Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Cracks and All- God Writes a New Story


Cracks and All
In the summer of 2015 God reached down and changed my life. Most of my days and nights were spent inside my apartment due to my chronic arthritis and fibromyalgia. I was searching for a purpose in my life and I was depressed. So I enrolled in an online creative writing class. My first assignment was to choose five random words, brew a pot of tea, spill some on my writing paper, and write a story in fifteen minutes. Why I chose Humpty Dumpty I wasn’t sure.
As I began to write Humpty’s story I had no idea where it would lead. After all, what more could I write about Humpty Dumpty? He was broken that much I knew, but what if he were to be healed? What if he were to be changed in some miraculous way? These questions were left unanswered as my fifteen minutes were up. I left Humpty cracked and broken at the foot of his wall.
The women in my class were talented and supportive. They were also depressed and searching for answers. They wrote about Buddha, eastern religions, mythology, and philosophy. There was a spiritual heaviness and hopelessness in their stories. I wanted to tell them about the One who heals our wounds and makes us new; but how? At eleven o’clock, the night before our last assignment, I began to write an ending for Humpty’s story . . . 
Humpty Dumpty Cracks and All, is a story for people of all ages, with a message of hope and redemption that is universal. But there is more to the story. Almost two years after writing it, I discovered what was hiding in plain sight. It was me on that wall, on the ground cracked and broken, hopeless, and ultimately healed. Humpty’s story was my story, and the means of my own healing! Isn’t that just like God? He is full of surprises and when He blesses us, He does so abundantly!
I am a published author now and a published poet. I hope to bring Humpty’s story to schools, retirement communities, nursing homes, hospitals and anywhere God’s message of hope is needed. And who knows, I left Humpty on the path in the woods, I may have to join him again to see what happens next! 
Humpty Dumpty Cracks and All, is available online at www.amazon.com, as well as in local bookstores. You can find more information about Humpty and my poetry on my Facebook Page (just type in my name), or my blog, www.beautifuldefect.com. I will be signing books at Barnes and Noble in Springfield Virginia, on Saturday April 8th from 2-4 pm. I will be at 2nd & Charles in Woodbridge Virginia, on Saturday April 15th from 1-3 pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!