Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Beth Schleusener- Southern Region

Beth Schleusener -
with husband Rev. Dave Schleusener

Beth shared her response to the following questions-
sharing from the perspective of a Christian working in a secular setting.

What brings you JOY right now as you work in the public school setting?  

I have an ever-present feeling that I am doing something that truly matters. Since most of our kiddos will be public school educated, we can’t afford to give up on public education. I am blessed to work in the high school that served my own daughters quite well.

What is one of your greatest challenges?  

Observing warning signs that our culture is becoming more fractured. Yesterday during the pledge of allegiance, I was in a classroom where three African American students sat with their heads bowed. We have students from (literally) all around the world at our school, but our African American student population is definitely self-segregating and participating less in school activities than other under-represented minorities. I want to contribute toward their good, but I have no idea what to do that will make a difference to them.

What do you see the Holy Spirit doing in your life right now?     

I see the Holy Spirit teaching me patience as I begin a new empty-nest phase, and wait for a new adventure to give me fresh energy. As a girl with life-long wanderlust, it’s good to practice “in God’s time.”

As a pastor's wife,how can you bring encouragement in your work setting to those all around you?     

Ha! It’s kind of ironic that even in our most secular, coarse surroundings, the title of “pastor’s wife” still has some clout. (Maybe it’s because I’m in the South!). I feel I receive a level of automatic respect at school as people hear my husband is a pastor (and a Navy Reserve Chaplain). So I work to hone my personal practice of truth - in Jesus Christ – so that everything, from my countenance to my conversations, will reflect my beliefs that are truly the foundation of my life. 

Thank you to Beth who works at Cary High School 
in Cary, North Carolina.

Her husband Dave is Associate Pastor
 at Resurrection Lutheran Church in Cary, North Carolina.
We give thanks for her witness and pray 
for her continued presence of hope to all that she encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!