Sunday, July 10, 2016

Elfie Eberle- The Maryland Orphan Grain Train

Elfie Eberle

Orphan Grain Train has been part of my life
 since my daughter, Lisa,
 spent 2 years in St. Petersburg, Russia.
 She was working for LCMS Missions
 as a volunteer teacher in 1992 and 1993. 
   I met the OGT pastor there who was in
 dire need of pediatric wheelchairs. 
 As Bill (husband) was a hospital chaplain,
 I said I would try to obtain them. 
 Well, I did not find any pediatric wheelchairs for donation,
 but lots of other medical equipment.  
As I had been instructed, I contacted Pr. Ray Wilke,
 Exec. Dir. of OGT for pickup. 
 That will not work he told me, 
you need to ship from there
 and it will cost you only $5,000.  Gulp!!!! 
 New York Branch was born and the Lord provided!!!!  

When I moved to Annapolis,
although my intention was not to start another branch, 
 I was encouraged and succumbed. 
 Six years ago, the Maryland Branch was founded 
and we now, have our own warehouse.
It is through the grace of God,
 and the work of many committed volunteers,
(call them Saints).
 The new warehouse replaces 5 temporary storage areas.  
God has provided.  

When I hear the stories of the children with Hydrocephalus, 
whose lives are saved with one of our shunts,
 I thank God I am able to be a small part of this. 
 2,150 lives have been saved.

 The young women in Cameroon named the sewing school
 we established-Divine Sewing School. 
It was built with the container as the building
 and furnished with the sewing machines sent.
 I thank God for His provision. 
 They are learning a marketable skill
 and able to support their families.

 The children in Liberia, Nicaragua, Ghana, Haiti and Liberia,
  are able to attend school.
 We send them the school supplies they need to learn.
 I thank God for placing me here.

When our 800 coats are delivered to
 St. Thomas Lutheran Church (Baltimore)
 for distribution at their Community Thanksgiving Dinner, 
I am so pleased we are a small part of providing succor 
for those suffering in our own country.

When 2 houses are built in Crisfield, Maryland
 after the Hurricane Sandy devastation 
with Orphan Grain Train resources,
 my heart sings.

These are just a few experiences
that bring not only me,
 but all of us,
 in Orphan Grain Train- JOY! 

Click here to see a video about:
Orphan Grain Train- Maryland

And here is a link to read about what happens
when there is a spirit of volunteerism.
around-annapolis
when there is a spirit of volunteerism.

Elfie is a member at St. Paul's Lutheran Church
 in Annapolis, Maryland.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story
 of a "heart for others"

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!