Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Janis McDaniels- Southern Region




Faith Walking in the LWML-
Lutheran Women's Missionary League

I think it’s safe to say my LWML faith walk is pretty much based on my inability to say “no.”

In 1993, I was advised that then president, Ida Mall, was going to ask me to do something, and I dare not say "no." She asked me to serve on the Christian Growth Committee. I didn’t know what that was,  but said “yes,” in a definite leap of faith. I served two terms on the Christian Growth Committee and then was appointed to the Mission Projects Committee.  Learning more and more about LWML, I was also getting to know some terrific women. While attending an Interdepartmental Meeting, I learned that my grandson was stillborn.  Surrounded by love and support from my LWML sisters, they prayed with and for me, and comforted me. I was blessed to be in their company.

My next leap of faith was when I was asked to run for district president. There were two things to take into consideration: was the Carolinas District ready for an African American district president, and my opponent was the daughter of a past district president.  After much prayer and counsel, I allowed my name to stand for nomination.  I won – by two votes. At that time I adopted Philippians 4:13 as my personal verse. ” I can do all things through him who gives me strength.”  During this time our son was killed. An event like that can shake your faith pretty badly. Again, the love and support  from my LWML sisters across the country helped to see me through it. Before my term ended, I was appointed chairman of the Gospel Outreach Committee, so I was doing two jobs for a little over a year. Another “yes” again. When elected to the Nominating committee, I served as chairman.  Feeling unprepared, I went back to Phil. 4:13. This was a good group and work was a joyful experience.

Another “yes”  led to nomination for Vice President of Gospel Outreach, and I was elected. Later that year, my husband had extensive surgery for esophageal cancer, as well post-surgical problems related to his medication. I was a wreck and, again, my LWML sisters and brothers – the pastoral counselors, lifted me up. Later on my husband, Jim, developed a staph infection. I had trouble functioning and thought he was dying. President Kay Kreklau, then LWML recording secretary, counseled me and helped me keep my wits about me. What a blessing!

When nomination came for national president, I didn’t make it to the ballot. I considered a floor nomination request, which I answered with a prayerful “yes.” Though not elected, it was okay.  The Lord  places me where He wants me each time. I’m still active on the Carolinas District board, zone and church society.  A new role as a member of the Concordia College Alabama (Selma) Board of Regents is something entirely new, so I’m leaning heavily on Phil. 4:13.

Whatever is next for me, I do know the Lord is walking with me. At times He will move ahead of me to lead and sometimes get behind and push- to direct where He wants me to go. 


When has a faith community surrounded you in a time of crisis? We'd love to hear about those times of comfort and prayer in your life.

Janis serves with her husband, Jim, at St Luke's Lutheran Church, High Point, North Carolina. We give thanks for her long- time support of the LWML at both local and National level. She gives a powerful witness that a yes to God leads to new areas to grow and learn about how He equips us to serve. Janis can be reached at-  LWMLJanis@aol.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!