Sunday, May 08, 2022

on Mothers Day

 

On Mothers Day

No, auto edit, I did not unintentionally leave out an apostrophe. Today is a day in which we honor mothers, not a day that mothers own. Today, like every day, is the day that The Lord has made. Today is also a day to consider motherhood and what God has to say about mothers, how we are to treat them, what is the godly task of motherhood, and how our loving God mothers us in spite of our chronic resistance and disobedience.

Exodus 20:12 and Ephesians 6:1-3

            This is the 4th commandment, the first commandment ‘with promise’ as St. Paul notes. I choose to believe that the commandment does contain a promise, not, a warning about the consequences of failing to honor your parents. ‘Do you want to live?’

Proverbs 10:1; 23:22 & 25

            These verses advise, very clearly, how behavior that is less than godly affects your mother. In other words, ‘Don’t make your mamma cry!’

Acts 16:1 and 2 Timothy 1:5

            Lois and Eunice are specifically held up as examples of mothers and grandmothers who raised the child, Timothy, to be a man of faith.

Matthew 23:27

            Christ wept over Jerusalem saying that He, like a mother hen, would gladly shield us from danger with his own body. He also says this is an action that has been required often. In modern English, we call this ‘mother love.’ How comforting to know that Jesus loves us and says He loves us with sacrificial, motherly love.

On this Mothers Day, I went to church to sing with my mother and praise God with her. My mom has been in glory for more than 15 years, but I know she was singing today, as she will for all eternity, praising God. I even know the words she is singing, they begin, “This is the feast of victory for our God.” Revelation 5:9-13 and 7:13 & 14. I cried a bit as I sang, I miss her. I went home and put on a sweater of hers. I can feel her hug me when I wear it. I looked at her doll quilt that her grandmother made for her and see love in each stich. I read my grandmother’s words as she spoke of her love for her grandchildren in poetry. Then I asked my own daughter for her favorite Bible verse that tells of God’s love. She didn’t miss a beat, John 3:16. 

God is good. He loves us. He saved us. He gave us mothers.

 

                                                         Natalie Hartwig, Dora’s daughter


Natalie is a Contributing Writer

 for the Journeys of Faith Blog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!