Monday, January 16, 2017

Bible Journaling with Friends

 Visual Faith Coach Mary Durkin
 traveled to Northern Illinois
 to spend some time with friends.
 Girlfriends for 20+ years.
Jessi Fisher is a teacher at 
Cross Lutheran School in Yorkville, Illinois.
Jill Sidlowski, is a stay at home mom, 
involved with homeschooling.
She is a member of Good Shepherd Lutheran
 in Frankfort, Illinois.
Mary, Jessi and Jill have been friends 
since their college days.
In their time together they looked at 
some Visual Faith practices.
They started with the verse of 1 Peter 4:10.
Focusing on their gifts 
and how to use these gifts to bless others.
This was Jill and Jessi's first 
Bible Journaling experience.
Jessi and Jill are both moms of 3 boys.

Some reflections from this experience:
Jill:  I liked coming up with my own idea.
It made the verse real for me. 
I liked looking for inspiration to create 
what Scripture is saying to me.
Jessi:  This was so fun to journal
 my thoughts next to my picture.
 My journaling was as much a part
 of the process as the drawing.
It was a fun discipline to grow through. 
A bit of my hard edges were smoothed out.
Mary:  Sharing the joy of Bible Journaling 
with my Christian sisters has been so terrific!
 I loved giving them freedom to play and explore 
with the different mediums.  
Exposing them to the spiritual journey
 of Bible Journaling has been very rewarding.
It takes a bit of courage to share
 something new about our own faith practices.
Even with long-time friends.
It opens a vulnerable part of ourselves.
Sharing a bit about faith meeting us
 in our everyday life.
What we are learning.
Where we are struggling.
When something is hard to understand.
How God meets us everyday.
Why we are drawn over and over again
 to His Word.
Left right- Jessi, Mary and Jill

Visual faith practices 
mark the journey along the way.
Pilgrims here in the Kingdom.
Seeking our place and encouraging others.

Thank you to Mary Durkin- 
contributing writer for 
the Journeys of Faith blog-
 for sharing the heart of this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!