Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Beth Mays- Bible Journaling


Beth Mays- Northern Region
1.What brings you JOY in Bible Journaling?
When I first learned about Bible Journaling, my mind became so consumed with doing everything perfectly. Being a "rule-follower" at heart, and rather insecure about my abilities, I don't often just let myself go. Or if I do, my perfectionist side starts rearing it's ugly head. I like following guidelines; knowing boundaries helps me not get "too carried away". If what I was doing wasn't getting attention, maybe I wasn't doing it right or good enough. When I read an article about giving yourself a "permissions" page in your Bible (this Bible is for..., is not for..., it will..., etc), and listened to an excellent [read: eye-opening] Bible Journaling tips video, it changed my entire lens I was looking through. I was gently convicted that this new thing I found myself enamored with. Perhaps,I was making it about me and not about God and my faith. In other words, something that was supposed to be bringing me joy was bringing me stress! NOW that I am looking through it with a more appropriate lens, I have found myself discovering much joy worshipping and studying through journaling. What brings me the most JOY is placing a more visual aspect to what I am praying on/reading about. I remember more because of journaling. It is not something to cross off a 'to-do' list anymore. I can be messy, I can make mistakes, I can be myself and that brings me joy I had forgotten how to find.
2. How do you see the Holy Spirit using Visual Faith tools in your life right now?
These tools that have been introduced into my life cause me to place focus on something that is productive and fruitful. What journaling does is cause me to take focus off of television and phone screens and divert it to the Word and what God is trying to tell me in that moment. It is relaxing and reflective. Additionally, it has brought me out of my introverted shell a bit more. I have met more women in my church because of journaling and I hope to meet many more.


                    3. What words of encouragement for those 
                  on the faith journey would you like to share?
I would say, don't give up! Being a Christian doesn't mean we get a free pass through trials in life. They will happen - God promised it (John 16:33 - "In this world, you will have tribulations...). BUT he also provides us with words of comfort (...but take heart, I have overcome the world"). Additionally, I would seek out Christ-loving people to be in your corner. In those times of trial and tribulation, seek advice from those people. They have most likely been in a similar situation and can provide you with Christ-centered advice. 

Beth is a member of Lutheran Church of Our Savior 
in Bryan's Road, Maryland. 
She serves on a team working to encourage 
Visual Faith art tools for personal Bible Study time. 
She is also a gatherer of  Bible Journalers 
who meet in community to share this blessing
 with each other and introduce
 this spiritual discipline to any newcomers.
She shares here the first page she did in her own Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!