Friday, April 25, 2014

Jennifer Gross- Central Region




I spent my entire childhood reading. I always had a book in my hand. In the summer, I read 12 hours a day if I could get away with it. My mean parents would make me do things like “go outside” or “play with friends.” I went outside, all right, and then I climbed a tree and read there. 
So it was clear from the start that words are my passion and joy. I received a lot of affirmation for my love of reading, since it made me a good student and a good kid (who had time for mischief? There was a novel to finish!). But reading did not make me virtuous. Books were an escape, blocking out the world so I didn’t have to face my fears or engage with other people. The things of life—my siblings, my parents, boring classes at school, even my friends—were just annoying interruptions of whatever book I was immersed in at that time. I loved my family and friends, but let’s face it: for me, books were way more interesting than people.
It wasn’t until I reached adulthood that I realized real-life people might actually be as interesting as people in books. A childhood spent in the world of fiction does not exactly prepare one for social interaction, so I’ve always felt self-conscious and awkward in many social situations. But maturity brought an understanding that we all love to talk about ourselves, so I stopped trying to think of what to say and started asking others more questions. Eventually, I even listened to their answers.
And here’s what God has taught me, slowly and carefully, through hundreds of awkward conversations, and dozens of anecdotes heard in small-group studies, and interesting details elicited by just one more question: everyone has a story. Because God is the Storyteller, and His stories are the best ones. I’m not just talking about the stories of Moses or David or Paul. I’m talking about you, and me, and the people we meet every day. Even if they’re not aware of it, even if they think “it’s no big deal,” the Storyteller is telling His story through them.
Not everyone is a word person. Not everyone listens to someone talk about their life and thinks, as I do, “What a great story! This should be written down.” Not everyone sees their lives and others’ as one big epic novel. But God has given me both a love of words and, now, after many years of growing, a love of people. He has transformed my passion for words and story into a passion for finding and telling God’s stories among His people today. 

Some days, I’d still like to run away, climb a tree, and read a book. But when I take the time to really listen to God and His people, I see a different kind of story—and this Author’s plot twists are always a surprise.



Jennifer is a member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield, Virginia. 
She blogs at http://here-i-stand.blogspot.com
Jennifer is one of the new writers added to contribute to the Journeys of Faith blog
 for Women of the Southeastern District.
Gathered to tell the stories to MAKE HIM KNOWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!