Thursday, December 05, 2013

LuAnn Carrig- Central Region


J O Y- three letters that sit on the bookshelf behind my desk. Why are they there you ask? As a director in a Lutheran preschool I find great JOY
in theministry where I am blessed to serve.
Many years ago, I was driving by St. Paul's (in Falls Church, VA on Idylwood Rd.) and God spoke to me very clearly. He said, "You are going to serve at St. Paul's." Why would I work or serve at St. Paul’s was my immediate thought. I'm a life-long Baptist! I continued my drive up the hill and pushed the “message” deep into my memory until...the day a friend called me to say that St. Paul's Lutheran in Falls Church was looking for a preschool director. The words I had heard so clearly months before quickly rushed into my mind. I was filled with JOY when I was offered the position and am in my ninth year.
As I began my service at St. Paul's, the single most impressive thing was the committed spirit of the congregation for their Preschool. I had worked in other church preschools but had NEVER experienced such support and enthusiasm from a church congregation. To work in a committed partnership was more than a JOYfull experience. I have enJOYed very much the friendships I have established with the church community and value them greatly.
Not only do I find JOY in working in a church that loves their preschool, but I find great JOY in serving children and families. Building relationships is always a great experience, but supporting them educationally and spiritually brings it to an even greater level. Many in our program are foreign born and this is their first experience in a school. St. Paul’s is a welcoming and safe place for them to walk through this first experience. I would like to think that we bring JOY to each of these families!
It also brings me great JOY as I work with a team of Christians, currently all women but occasionally a man. While my day-to-day responsibilities are to manage the preschool, mentor staff and help families, I really enJOY being a spiritual leader for the staff. I strive to treat people in the same way Jesus treated people; through love. Oh I am very aware that I am a sinner, but through God’s grace and mercy,
I am renewed daily.

What a privilege it is to work in a place where I am free to share my love for Jesus Christ. While Merriam- Webster defines JOY as “a feeling of great pleasure and happiness” I challenge you to define it in the following way:
 J - Jesus first
O - others second
Y yourself last 

We give thanks for the dedication of LuAnn serving to minister to children and their families

 at St. Paul's. She is also a part of the Kingdom Impact Pinner Team on Pinterest.
You can check out her resources here-http://www.pinterest.com/luanncarrig/
Though her first boards are designed for wonderful help for teachers, there are also many ideas for families of young children here also. She has been a long-time supporter and participant at Keep the Faith activities at Prince of Peace in Springfield, VA.
LuAnn may be reached at-SPLPreschool@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!