Friday, April 27, 2018

Our Good Shepherd

                                                                                                        Copyright free image Google
 On Good Shepherd Sunday, we heard Psalm 23,
 sang at least one hymn based on the Psalm, 
and think of the pictures of Christ 
carrying the sheep.
 It is comforting to think of ourselves
 as that lamb, 
safely tucked in the arms 
or draped around the neck of the Shepherd. 
It is a little harder to remember 
Christ’s instructions to Peter,
 “If you love me, feed my sheep.” 
Yes, we are called sheep, 
and it is not a compliment. 
Without Christ, we are the foolish sheep
 who need protection and guidance. 
But with Christ, that is a different story. 
As the workers in the vineyard 
we are to care for each other 
with Christ-like love and concern.
I was thinking about the pictures

of Christ painted
 by artists and poets and then moved on 
to the verbal pictures I carry in my heart 
about the First Person of the Trinity, 
God the Father. 
The first of those pictures formed 
during my high school years 

when an English teacher 
read the poem “The Creation” 
by James Weldon Johnson.
 Once I started to think of the Creator 
in human form, I began to also see Him
 walking in the Garden. 
First, He was in comfortable conversation 
and then in parental confrontation.
 I saw God the Father as a strong protector
 slamming shut the door of the ark
 to protect and shelter Noah. 
But, my favorite mental picture 
of God the Father in human form comes from
 Deuteronomy 33:12 and Hosea 11:1. 
The blessing of Moses to Benjamin 
says that Benjamin is beloved of The Lord
 and rests between His (God’s) shoulders. 
I know many take that to be a physical description
 of the land assigned to Benjamin 
with the shoulders being 
poetic descriptions of mountains. 
I like to think of God the Father picking up
 those of childlike faith and putting us
 on His shoulders just like a human father
 picks up a toddler and perches
 the little one on strong shoulders 
to keep them safe, let them see, 
and keep them from wandering off. 
The closer I get to heaven,
 the more certain I am that heaven
 must feel just like those laughing children
 sitting on dad’s shoulders. 
Think about it, we were in “Egypt Land” slavery 
when God rescued us and led us
 through the waters of baptism. 
Now we are free, 
now we can dance with Miriam,
 sing with Moses, 

and ride on the shoulders of God!
 I like that picture.

More resources: Creation- James Johnson
and here is a reading-
Video- Creation


Thanks to Contributing writer- 
Natalie Hartwig, 
for this Good Shepherd reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

always wanting to be connected!